Alane Becket Presented Two Consumer Sessions at SBLI Conference
Alane Becket was speaker at the 38th Annual Southeastern Bankruptcy
Law Institute in Atlanta. On Thursday, March 22, 2012, her presentation
entitled "Hardship Discharge for Chapter 13 Debtors and Discharge of Student Loans"
included the following topics:
- Whether student loans are ever dischargeable in a chapter 7 or 13;
- Service issues;
- Requirements for filing adversary proceedings;
- Explanation and application of the William C. Ford program; and
- Effect of the timing of the filing of the complaint for hardship discharge.
Then, on Friday, March 23, 2012, Alane discussed "Asserting Claims in
Chapter 7's and Chapter 13's". This presentation will address germane issues such as:
- Requirements of a properly filed claim;
- Standing to file;
- Attachments necessary to file with the court;
- Effect of Federal Rule of Bankruptcy Procedure 3001(f); and
- What is necessary to prove debt in the face of objections to claim.
For more information on the event, please visit the official website at